Where can I get coconut aminos? They can be bought from online and retail stores. Soy sauce is a popular condiment for Asian cuisines such as Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, and Thai. Soy sauces are usually made from fermented soya and taste salty with a hint of bean paste. Coconut aminos are another alternative to soy sauce.
What Is Coconut Aminos?
Coconut aminos is a condiment made by fermenting and blending sea salt with the fermented sap derived from the blossoms of coconut flowers. The flowers are unopened and left to aged or fermented. According to a source, coconut aminos contain 17 various types of amino acids that are important for nervous system function, brain, and muscle health. One serving of coconut aminos contains 1 gram of carbs, o grams of fat, and 5 calories.
Benefits Of Coconut Aminos
Coconut aminos is a healthier alternative to soy sauce because it contains 70% less sodium compared to soy sauce. A soy sauce normally contains 920 mg sodium while a coconut aminos contains 300 mg sodium and has low-calorie content. Since coconut aminos are gluten-free, it is often an alternative choice for those who are allergic to soy sauce or just wanted to taste something different.
This healthy condiment also does not contain phytoestrogens that are linked to the imbalance of testosterone, low sperm count, low libido in men, and increased cancer risks. It also helps in losing weight by Increases adiponectin, a hormone found in fatty tissue. By eating coconut products like coconut aminos, adiponectin is increased. Adiponectin regulates metabolism such as fat burning.
Other benefits of Coconut Aminos:
- Lowers colon cancer risk
- Aids in mental health
- Protects the heart
- Enhances the immune system
- Reduces diabetes risk
- Treat PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Fits many dietary restrictions such as the AIP diet, candida diet, keto diet, and Paleo diet
- It’s vegan
What Are The Cons of Coconut Aminos?
- Expensive compared to soy sauce. A bottle sold online can cost from $5 to $10.
- It might cause allergy to people allergic to coconut but it’s quite rare.
How does it taste like?
Coconut aminos taste salty like soy sauce with an umami flavor, a hint of sweetness, and coconut flavoring because after all, it came from coconut.
How Coconut Aminos Is Used?
It can be used exactly the same as soy sauce – as a condiment for recipes, meat dishes, marines, dressings, and sauces. Here are the mixes you can use with coconut aminos:
- Dressing – Mix olive oil, lemon, vinegar and turn them into a dressing for the salad.
- Marinade – Suitable as a marinade for fish and meat to flavor shrimp, pork, and beef.
- Sauce – Combine cornstarch, ginger, garlic for the stir-fry sauce and cook with vegetables and meat.
- Seasoning – Mix with sushi to be used as a dipping sauce or as a substitute for salt and used for soups.
Coconut aminos are regarded as low in sugar because it only contains 1 gram per teaspoon. Although rich in amino acids, it does not contain protein per serving nor any sources of calcium, vitamin C, and iron. Coconut aminos have been mostly produced from the Philippines. There are still studies needed to prove the claims about the health benefits of consuming coconut aminos.
Where To Buy Coconut Aminos?
You can buy coconut aminos at online stores such as iHerb, Wholefoods, Amazon. You can also find it in online stores in your locality or any physical grocery stores.
What are some Coconut Aminos Products?
The availability of coconut aminos depends on your geographical location but anytime anywhere as long as your current location is served by online stores and deliveries and there’s an internet, you can always get the condiment online and delivered via logistics companies. Here are some of the brands shown on the internet.
- Quezon’s best organic coconut aminos
- Bragg coconut aminos
- Big Tree coco aminos
- Organic sap aminos by Green Life
- Nutrifinds Coconut Aminos
- Kevala coconut aminos
- Niulife naked coconut aminos
- Cocomino Original Coconut Amino Sauce
- Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos
The Bottom Line
Coconut Aminos is a good alternative to soy sauce. It may or might have benefits of nutrients, low sodium count, and higher amino acids. On the other hand, there’s still needed a study to prove the claims from the internet regarding the health benefits of amino acids.