So there has been a lot of controversy as to MSG. MSG, fully known as monosodium glutamate, is a food additive that can be found in so many foods. Interestingly, many official sources say the MSG is safe for consumption. While on the other hand, people also claim it causes certain health conditions like headaches and brain damage. And because of this, so many people avoid foods that contain MSG. Well, we’ll not be taking a look at so many products that contain MSG. For now, we’ll be concentrating on liquid aminos MSG. Is it present? Does this make liquid aminos good or not? You’ll find out all these as you go on.
We’ve been mentioning liquid aminos for a while now. What exactly is it? It is a seasoning used in giving your food a nice taste and looks. And the taste is a lot similar to that of soy sauce. That’s one reason why so many people opt for this alternative for soy sauce. Liquid aminos have this savory and salty taste. And they also happen to be a good choice for vegans and are also gluten-free. So if you’re allergic to gluten this would be a good option for you to opt for. Well, we’ll talk a bit more about liquid aminos as we go on.
What is Liquid Amino?
It is made up of non-fermented soy sauce and is used in seasoning foods. This product is a great source of amino acids. It contains 16 amino acids out of the 20 amino acids used in the body.
The 16 amino acids are methionine, alanine, arginine, phenylalanine, proline, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid, glycine, histidine, tyrosine, threonine, valine, isoleucine, lysine, and leucine.
Well, it is well-known for its nutritional benefits. Let’s take a look at the nutritional facts of liquid aminos. In half a teaspoon of liquid aminos you get:
- 0 calories
- 100mg of carbs
- 160mg of sodium
- 310mg of protein
The good thing about liquid aminos is that it does not contain chemicals, gluten, alcohol, artificial coloring, or preservatives. Also, this product is non-GMO certified. So it’s considered safe for consumption.
Liquid aminos are used for a variety of things. It can be used as a seasoning in making soups, salads, dressings, tofu, vegetables, beans, rice, potatoes, casseroles, poultry, gravies, sauces, and meats. So it’s a great substitute for tamari and soy sauce.
Liquid Aminos MSG
MSG is a compound found in different foods. And it helps enhance flavor. MSG is commonly found in processed and packaged foods. This is gotten from glutamic acid. And the process used in making MSG is the fermentation process.
This compound is a byproduct of hydrolyzation. That’s why every hydrolyzed protein contains MSG. This compound serves as a neurotropic agent in the body. Which means that it has an effect on the nervous system in the body.
The thing though is that some people are allergic to MSG. So if you’re allergic to MSG then it wouldn’t be a good idea to opt for liquid aminos.
Is It Still Okay to Consume Liquid Aminos?
Some people assume that because liquid aminos contain MSG, it’s not good for consumption. But there are a lot of benefits that come with consuming liquid aminos.
- Contains amino acids: This is one of the biggest benefits that come with using liquid aminos. Amino acids are very important in the body because of the various roles that they play. Amino acids play a role in building muscles and also cell signaling and regulation of gene expression.
- Gluten-free: Many people are allergic to gluten. This is why some people don’t opt for soy sauce. The good thing with liquid aminos is that it’s free of gluten. This makes it a good option for almost everyone except the people that are allergic to soy.
- Doesn’t contain preservatives: This is one good thing about liquid aminos. There are preservatives that people add to foods. And when you consume those foods in large quantity it leads to an accumulation of preservatives in your body. And this in no way is good for your health. The good thing is that liquid aminos don’t have these preservatives so you can consider yourself safe.
- Help reduce hunger: The taste that comes with liquid aminos is umami. And that happens to be one of the major taste sensations. This flavor has a meaty and savory taste. And this flavor has been found to have effects to reduce hunger. And this may help you shed some pounds.
Some downsides come with taking liquid aminos:
- Allergen: One of the downsides is that it’s allergenic for some people. Soy present in liquid aminos causes an allergic reaction in some people. That’s why some coconut aminos are what they opt for instead of liquid aminos.
- A bit expensive: Soy sauce is not expensive while liquid aminos are a bit expensive. It costs about 3x the price of soy sauce. So if you’re on a tight budget, then liquid aminos might not be the right option for you. If you decide to opt for liquid aminos, you can order one online as it’s not that easy getting it at grocery stores.
- A bit salty: Well, on the label of liquid aminos, it indicates there is no salt added. But it’s quite salty. Well, that an issue for another time. But for some people, the saltiness of liquid aminos is too much. If you’re trying to reduce your sodium intake, then this well may not be the best option for you to opt for. But if you’re not that worried about the salt content, then you’re good to go.
Liquid aminos come with some amazing benefits. And these benefits would do a great deal in improving your health. So you might just want to opt for liquid aminos right now instead of worrying about liquid aminos MSG.